English, 18th century
Teapot, c. 1765–1770
14.1 x 11.5 x 19.1 cm
Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery; Gift of Miss Frances Mills and on behalf of her sisters the late Miss Evelyn and Miss Mildred Mills
Ceramics production in the Worcester area of England began as early as pre-Roman times, but it became a significant force in the mid-eighteenth century when the physician John Wall (1708–1776) and apothecary William Davis (active 1751–1783) founded the Worcester Porcelain Co. at Warmstry House on the banks of the River Severn. They purchased the porcelain formula, raw materials, and molds from the Bristol Porcelain Works in 1752, and then transferred the staff to Worcester, where production began immediately. The so-called Dr. Wall or First period of the factory saw many of the initial designs based on English silverware. From 1760 onward, however, an Asian influence is apparent as seen in this teapot, which references both Japanese Kakiemon and Imari. The piece features a molded flower finial, complementing the prunus and chrysanthemum decoration on the body of the teapot.