Canadian, c. 1910–1958
Woman Skinning Goose, 1953
12.7 x 13.9 x 9.7 cm
Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery; The Swinton Collection; Gift of the Women's Committee
Eli Weetaluktuk was one of three brothers, all artists, including Sarollie and Simeonie Weetaluktuk, who made many fine carvings in the 1950s. They lived in a camp led by Sarollie called Kangirqsukallaq, located 40 kilometres south of Inukjuak. The brothers began creating stone carvings in the early 1950s after the Hudson’s Bay Company post in Inukjuak started purchasing sculptures for export to southern markets. Finding good stone was difficult until a deposit was located to the south of the camp. This deposit was named sungauyak (beautiful stone) for the colourful green, marbled serpentinite that was used for the next decade by carvers in that region. Woman Skinning Goose is an example of this beautifully coloured stone. The stylistic details of the piece have been kept to a minimum, and round, glossy surfaces show the stone to best advantage.