Danish, est. 1904
Bowl, c. 1950
16.5 x 40.1 cm
Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery; Donated in memory of David and Eva Thomas
The Danish goldsmith Georg Jensen (1866–1935) opened his first workshop and store in Copenhagen in 1904. His success was swift, and by the time of his death in 1935 there were Georg Jensen outlets in Brussels, Barcelona, Berlin, Geneva, London, New York, and Paris, many of which still exist today. He is widely considered to be responsible for the international renown of Danish modern silver. Work produced under the Jensen banner is indicative of twentieth century design movements: Art Nouveau, Art Deco, and mid-century Modernism. This bowl, designed by Henning Koppel—a master craftsman who began collaborating with Jensen in 1946—is characteristic of Functionalism, a movement that believed beauty could be achieved without sacrificing practicality. Koppel is considered an early pioneer of this design aesthetic.