Jean (Hans) Arp
Muse’s Amphora, 1959
121.8 x 45.8 x 49 cm
Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery; Gift of Mrs. Jean Arp and Dr. and Mrs. Max Stern
A founding member of the Zurich Dada movement, the German-born artist and poet Jean (Hans) Arp relied upon elements of chance and organic inspiration to characterize the physical appearance of his art. He met his future wife, Swiss artist Sophie Taeuber, in Zurich in 1915, and the two collaborated on many projects. Though he produced a large number of prints, collages, and reliefs in his early years, by 1930 Arp was focusing almost solely on sculpture. Muse’s Amphora represents the artist’s newly developed biomorphic vocabulary, which replaced his geometric-inspired works from the preceding decade. It was during the 1930s that Arp produced some of his most sensuous sculptures in various materials, which anticipated his interest in Surrealism. This impressive work in plaster was donated to the WAG in 1972 by the artist’s widow and his friend and dealer Max Stern.