Call for Expressions of Interest and Qualifications from Architectural Teams for a New Inuit Art and Learning Centre
August 27 Addendum to Call for Expressions of Interest and Qualifications for the Inuit Art and Learning Centre at the Winnipeg Art Gallery: Architectural teams submitting responses to this Call for Expressions of Interest and Qualifications are informed that 8 copies of their submissions are required.
The Winnipeg Art Gallery invites Expressions of Interest and Qualifications from architect teams in respect to a project for a new Inuit Art and Learning Centre proposed to be built as an addition to the existing gallery building on Memorial Boulevard in downtown Winnipeg. The new addition will house the gallery’s celebrated collection of contemporary Inuit art, as well as new facilities for the Gallery’s Studio Art and Learning programs.
The new addition will be approximately 40,000 gross square feet in area. The base construction cost for it, and for related renovations to the existing Gallery building, is $33.4 million.
For a more detailed description of the program of the new addition click here
Architectural Teams interested in the project are invited to submit expressions of interest in, and qualifications to undertake the project by the deadline of 3:00pm on Tuesday, September 4, 2012. Submissions should be sent to the following address:
Office of the Executive Director
Winnipeg Art Gallery,
300 Memorial Boulevard
Winnipeg, MB, Canada, R3C 1V1
Expressions of interest must include the following information:
- Name and contact information for architectural firm or firms making the submission
- CVs for key team members
- Names of proposed required subconsultants, including structural, mechanical and electrical engineers, a landscape architect and a cost control consultant, together with brief firm descriptions for each of them, including a list of 3 relevant previous projects
- Names of any additional subconsultants proposed by the architectural team, together with firm descriptions, and a list of relevant previous projects
- Descriptions and illustrations of 3 relevant previous projects completed in the past 7 years by the proposed architectural team
- A brief description of the approach to the design of the Inuit Art and Learning Centre that the architectural team would propose.
Expressions of interest are limited to a total number of fifteen 8 ½ by 11 pages, excluding cover sheets.
The Winnipeg Art Gallery has formed an architect selection committee that will review the Expressions of Interest and Qualifications submitted; prepare a short-list of teams; review proposals submitted by them, interview them, and select the successful team. The selection committee comprises the following members:
- George Baird, Founding Partner, Baird Sampson Neuert Architects, Dean Emeritus of the Daniels Faculty of Architecture, University of Toronto and advisor to the Director of the Winnipeg Art Gallery
- Stephen Borys, Executive Director, Winnipeg Art Gallery
- Herbert Enns, Director, Experimental Media Research Group, and Professor of Architecture, University of Manitoba, and Director, Cisco Innovation Centre for Collaborative Technologies, University of Winnipeg
- Naomi Levine, Lawyer, and President, Board of Governors, Winnipeg Art Gallery
- Brigitte Shim, Architect, Shim-Sutcliffe Architects
- Richard Yaffe, Partner, Aikins, MacAulay & Thorvaldson, LLP, and Chair, The Winnipeg Art Gallery Foundation
- Mirko Zardini, Executive Director and Chief CuratorArchitect and Director, Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montreal
The selection committee will review the Expressions of Interest and Qualifications submitted, and will prepare a short list of 3-5 teams for interview. These teams will be asked to prepare full proposals to undertake the design of the Inuit Art and Learning Centre. It is anticipated that the proposals will be due at the beginning of October 2012, and that interviews will take place in the second week of that month.
Architectural Teams not already registered to practice in the Province of Manitoba, and who are selected as part of the short list, will be required to form an affiliation with a firm which is registered to practice in Manitoba for the purposes of undertaking the design of the project, as part of the full proposal submission.
- 2014 (61)
- 2013 (59)
- 2012 (72)
- 2011 (70)
- 2010 (51)
- 2009 (24)