English, active 1750–1758
Turkey Cock figurine, c. 1750–c. 1752
21.8 x 14 x 10.9 cm
Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery; The Ruby Ashdown Collection of Decorative Art
The Longton Hall factory, managed by William Littler (1724–1784), opened in 1749 or 1750 with large aspirations for porcelain production. Despite being hindered by a lack of capital, Littler aimed to produce quality wares in keeping with those from Bow and Chelsea, but at a lower cost, which would allow Longton Hall to sell its wares more cheaply and flood the market. However, the factory’s sales were modest and unable to withstand the fierce competition of the British porcelain trade, forcing it to close by 1758. Longton Hall’s wares were finely potted, often featuring exuberant forms, as can be seen here in the depiction of the turkey, its head held high and outstretched. The characteristic thick, white glaze of this figure helps identify it as produced by Longton Hall, which was known for its “snowmen porcelain,” so called because the generous glaze blurs and envelops the formal details below.