Stevens & Williams
English, est. 1847
Vase, c. 1875
39 x 15 cm
Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery; Gift of Mrs. Agnes M. Benidickson
The glass factory of Stevens & Williams was one of the most notable of the Stourbridge glasshouses, an area of concentrated glass-making due to the ready availability of coal and other natural resources needed for firing glass. This beautiful example of cameo glass dates from a period of significant creative innovation, when the factory was under the artistic direction of John Northwood (1836–1902) and employed designer Frederick Carder (1863–1963). Northwood is credited with reintroducing to Britain the glass-making techniques of ancient Greece and Rome, specifically that of cameo glass. Upon leaving the factory in 1902, Carder went on to establish the Steuben Glass Company in Corning, New York. This vase, with white glass layered over turquoise, features excellent carving and shading. The naturalistic design elements relate to the stylizations of Art Nouveau.