David B. Williams
David Williams —1947-2009
David Williams, a self-taught artist of Ojibway descent from Garden River, Ontario, was born in 1947.
He moved to Vancouver in 1977 to work as a writer and photographer, but soon began to focus on his artwork, developing a distinctive, graphic, semi-abstract style. Two elements are common to all of David's works: the depiction of the life cycles of nature through encircling various images with fine lines, and also his devotion, as a single parent, to his children, with red circles representing his three sons, and yellow, his daughter.
Since the early eighties, he has been living in Winnipeg, where his association with The Wah-sa Gallery began. In addition to participating in Wah-sa exhibitions, he has had solo shows with Gallery One (1979/80) and The Trading Post in Saskatoon (1986/87), the First Man Art Gallery in Calgary (1980), and the Upstairs Gallery in Winnipeg (1982).
Williams has been the recipient of grants from both the Canada Council and the Manitoba Arts Council.
In 1987, the Métis National Council presented one of his works to Pope John-Paul at Fort Simpson, NWT.
David Williams is also represented in the collections of, Peace Hills Trust, Winnipeg's Aboriginal Centre,
Shell, Gulf, and Suncor oil corporations, the Manitoba government and the Department of Indian Affairs, as well as the Denver Museum of Fine Arts, the Mendel in Saskatoon, Canada Council Art Bank, and the McMichael Gallery in Kleinberg ON.
Circle of Orcas
Giclee 2007, /100
16" x 13"
Purchase Price: $130.00
Loon and Otters
Photolithograph, 1999, /500
12" x 9"
Purchase Price: $135.00